Dear Kindergarten Families,
We are so thrilled to welcome your little ones to kindergarten! It’s an exciting time and we’re here to make the transition smooth and enjoyable for you and your child.
Here are a few suggestions on how you can support your child’s journey into kindergarten over the next few weeks:
- Independence: Encourage your child to practice dressing themselves, putting on their shoes and coats, and using the bathroom independently. Washing hands and face in the bathroom is a great skill to develop too!
- Gross motor skills: Let your child engage in games that promote gross motor skills, like tossing a ball, hopping, skipping, and running. Playtime is an excellent way for them to learn and grow!
- Sharing & caring: Help your child practice sharing toys and taking turns during playtime. Learning to be patient and kind is an important part of their social development.
- Fine Motor Skills: Let your child explore their creativity by drawing, coloring within the lines, and using scissors safely. These activities strengthen their fine motor skills and boost their imagination!
- Emotional Awareness: Talk to your child about recognizing when they need a break and how to express their feelings. We’ll also help them understand that it’s okay if things don’t always go as planned.
- Independence at school: Encourage your child to take care of their personal belongings, like backpacks and lunchboxes, to keep them safe. We’ll also teach them how to use technology responsibly.
- Buckle up! Practice having your child buckle and unbuckle themselves in the car. During drop-off in the morning, we’ll be there to assist them, but it’s great if they’re familiar with it too!
If you have any questions or need support during this exciting time, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us. We’re here to work together as a team to ensure your child has a fantastic kindergarten experience!
District #7 Kindergarten Principals and Teachers