Engage District 7 Final Report & Recommendations
Watch the video version of this communication HERE.
December 16, 2022
Dear District #7 community,
Last Monday, the Board of Education held a special meeting to hear the final report and recommendations for a facility plan from the Engage District 7 facilitating team.
For the past four months, over 250 individuals from the District #7 community have been working to put together a plan on how to meet the facility needs for all District #7 students, now and in the future. The community engagement process provided valuable information for Engage District 7’s final recommendations.
To make these recommendations a reality and to address the identified needs in District #7, the facilitating team recommended the Board of Education place a bond proposal for building repairs and improvement on the April 4, 2023, ballot that would provide a zero-tax rate increase on the current debt service levy. This bond proposal would address the projects which were prioritized through community engagement sessions.
The projects include:
- Installing double-entry doors for improved safety and security at seven schools (Glen Carbon, Leclaire, Nelson, Columbus and Woodland elementary schools, Lincoln Middle School, and Edwardsville High School), which would result in secure double entries at each of the district’s 13 schools.
- Rebuilding Lincoln Middle School on its existing site with the goal of retaining the 1925 building, and with other sections being deconstructed, then occupied through construction phased over a 36-to-42-month period.
- Conducting a second engineering survey/report specifically for Midway Elementary School and developing a plan for Midway Elementary School based on community priorities and additional information obtained.
- Remediating asbestos and building new classrooms, gymnasium, and entry at Hamel Elementary School.
- Expanding the commons at Edwardsville High School.
- Relocating the office at Nelson Elementary School.
- Providing safe and accessible playgrounds at all primary and intermediate schools.
- Providing safe and accessible gymnasiums at Leclaire, Glen Carbon and Columbus elementary schools.
- Updating media centers at Columbus and Woodland elementary schools and building a new media center at Edwardsville High School.
The projected cost of completing all projects is approximately $100 million, which would be accomplished through a bond proposal that would not increase the debt tax rate currently in place.
The Board of Education will discuss the final report and recommendations at their monthly board meeting this Monday, December 19, 2022, at 7 p.m. and will be voting on the recommendations on Monday, January 9, 2023, at a special board meeting at 5:30 p.m. If you are unable to make either of these meetings, they will be streamed on the District’s Facebook page.
You may also find more information at EngageDistrict7.org.
We hope you have a great holiday season and look forward to seeing you in 2023!
Patrick Shelton, Ed.D.