As was the case at the end of last week, we have begun monitoring the weather forecast to determine whether or not to cancel school for Thursday, January 23, 2020. We always try to make every effort to notify parents the night before if school is going to be cancelled, however, because every forecast and the timing of every storm system is different, this is not always possible. Student and employee safety is always our number one priority when making the decision to cancel school.
The current forecast from the National Weather Service indicates a light storm that should start around 6 PM this evening and will leave up to 1 inch of snow or other frozen precipitation on the ground by morning. The forecast is not clear on whether the storm tonight will be snow, rain, or a mix of sleet and freezing rain. Based on the forecast, at this time, no decision has been made regarding school closing on Thursday, January 23rd.
We will continue to monitor the forecast and make a decision based on the most up to date information available. In the event the decision is made to cancel school this evening, automated calls will be initiated before 10:30 PM. Otherwise, we will continue to monitor weather and road conditions throughout the night and into the early morning. If the road conditions warrant, there is a possibility of an early morning cancellation and automated calls will begin at 5 AM. Kid Zone will be in session at Woodland Elementary in the event that school is cancelled on Thursday.