The Edwardsville Community Unit School District #7 Board of Education approved the 2023-24 District #7 Student Handbook on Monday night during its regular monthly meeting.
The handbook underwent a comprehensive review that included input from a parent-teacher advisory, the superintendent teacher advisory, district principals, student advisory, legal team, district leadership team and the Board of Education.
Three distinct changes to the revised handbook include attendance, dress code and code of conduct.
- All district students will follow the 5-5-5 rule
- 5 excused days for medical appointment/illness without medical excuse
- 5 excused days for mental or behavioral health
- 5 excused days for family/personal business which requires the student to be out of town
- 3 unexcused absences will result in a letter from the school
- 5 unexcused absences will result in a second letter from the school and may result in a meeting with school personnel
- 9 unexcused absences will result in a referral to the District #7 Truancy Officer or the ROE Truancy Officer
- The dress code will consist of three categories, including must wear, may wear and may not wear.
- Students must wear a shirt, pants, and shoes.
- Among the items students may wear are fitted clothing, pajama pants, and athletic attire.
- Students may not wear hats or head coverings of any kind, unless worn for religious, medical, or safety purposes and approved in advance.
- Among other items students may not wear include violent language or images, hate speech, profanity, images that creates a hostile or intimidating environment, clothing that reveals visible undergarments, and accessories that could be considered dangerous or could be used as a weapon.
Code of Conduct
- Expanded the definition so it involves any student participating in an extracurricular activity at the middle or high school level.
The 2023-24 student handbook may be viewed here and is for all District #7 students, pre-K through 12th grade.
During their meeting, the Board of Education also approved:
- A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the City of Edwardsville and the District to continue the School Resource Officer program for the 2023-24 fiscal year.
- A MOU between the District and the Nature Preserve Foundation (Watershed Nature Center) to allow for the sharing of a district employed certified teacher with the Watershed Nature Center for the 2023-24 school year.
- A lease between the District and Plummer General, LLC, for office space, for 36 months. Central office staff will be moving from the Hadley House prior to October 1, 2023, due to construction at Lincoln Middle School as part of the bond referendum that will impede parking and district operations.