Lincoln Middle School and Bond Referendum Groundbreaking Ceremony Scheduled
A groundbreaking ceremony to kick-off construction at Lincoln Middle School as part of the 2023 bond referendum will be held at 3:30 p.m., on Monday, May 22, on the north side of Lincoln, just behind the Hadley House.
The construction is made possible by the bond referendum passed at the April 4, 2023, Consolidated General Election by the District #7 community. The bond proposal is a $100 million zero-tax-rate-increase bond issue, which will fund projects at every school in District #7, including addressing identified facility needs, essential safety and security upgrades and other identified critical maintenance needs, and provide an improved learning environment for District #7 students.
One of the identified projects of the bond referendum is a partial renovation and rebuild at Lincoln Middle School, which includes:
- Renovated gymnasiums relocated to the north side of the building
- A renovated theater
- New performing arts classrooms
- A new commons area
- New academic classrooms
- Added handicap accessibility
The construction will keep the original 1925 portion of the school building intact. Over the decades, Lincoln Middle School has undergone various additions, which has led to different floor levels that require steep stairs to get from one area of the building to another. The renovations and rebuilding will help improve the navigability of the school.
Other top priority projects with the bond referendum include:
- Secure double entries at all District #7 schools
- Remediation of asbestos and construction of new classrooms and gymnasium at Hamel Elementary School
- Repairs related to moisture infiltration and possible settlement at Midway Elementary School
- An addition of 7,000 square feet to the Commons at Edwardsville High School